When I first learned Reiki my teacher suggested that after we had attuned we should do self Reiki every day for 21 days. She called it a Reiki cleanse. It was based on the 21 days Doctor Usui was on the sacred mountain asking for aid in learning laying-on of hands. She said it was both a great way to get your positions for self Reiki down and to help clean out your own energy bodies so you could be a clearer channel of Reiki energy. I have since learned that not everyone who has had Reiki training was asked to do this, and I thought it would be a good idea to share it. I found it so helpful that I do it as a rite of discipline every couple years to aid me in my own healing process. Though it was not required by my teacher I did the same cleanse for Reiki One, Two and Master Teacher.
I was so inspired by my involvement with the #13daysofmagic by Devin Hunter I thought it would be good to set myself a goal and do more short-term blogs with a focus. The idea of doing 21 days of Reiki came to me as a great way to both do some self healing and share some wisdom. I invite you to join me on this journey of healing. My own Reiki cleanse will start on The 1st of December and end on the 21st. The Winter Solstice is a great time of new beginnings when the light of the world in the northern hemisphere begins to return. I have timed the ending of the cleanse for that time so that as our energy clears we can being a new cycle of the year. You can join me in this healing work at any level of Reiki attunement doing a daily self-healing. The topics that I will bring up for the posts will be centered for those who have Reiki Two or higher. That being said, if there is a way to do this with Reiki One, I will attempt to offer an adapted form.
Some suggestions for those joining me on this Reiki cleanse:
- Set time in your schedule to get away for doing self Reiki everyday.
- Get some music to listen to that will help you relax during your session.
- Don’t do your session in bed. If you are like me you will fall asleep!
- If you are in a rush, do distance Reiki on yourself but don’t do it too often because you will be missing the point. (Sorry, Reiki Ones, no time cheats for you…)
- Tell your support network that you are doing this and it may bring up issues. Friends, family, and your therapist may wonder what is going on.
- Be gentle with yourself during these 21 days. You will find that you are more sensitive to media, so maybe skip television with graphic violence or media or online discussions that get you heated and upset.
- Drink lots of water! When you are doing this cleanse it will aid you in flushing emotional and physical toxins.
- Take a epsom salt water bath or do a salt scrub to help you cleanse and clear.
- Set a healing intention for your cleanse. For example: “My healing cleanse supports my work to love and nurture myself more” or “My Reiki cleanse brings me closer to my ideal weight.”
- Reward yourself with something fun every week of the cleanse.
Each day of the Reiki cleanse will cover a different topic. You can add the teaching or exercise to your practice if you want, and I encourage you to do so. The only required thing about the cleanse is that you do a full self healing every day. Keep an eye out for this blog for the teachings and exercises. I hope you will join me on this journey.